Old Ghost Road & Raft
- Depending on skill and fitness MTB to Specimen Point will take any where between 3 – 4 .5 hrs. Tramping 5.5 – 6.5 hrs.
- MTB grade = advanced
- Tramping grade = easy
- Rafting = grade 4 (river level dependent)
Minimum age: (river level dependent)
- 13 yrs from the Mokihinui Forks
- 10 yrs from Specimen Point
Accommodation: You have the choice to either stay the night at Specimen Point or the Mokihinui Forks, most people make use of the huts, however camping is an option. If you are staying at Specimen Point, note that the rafting starts from the Mokihinui Forks, which is a 30min bike ride, or 45 – 60min walk further along the track (3.4Km) We provide:
- The helicopter transfer of gear, as there is no other means to get a raft into this remote area, and is double useful by shuttling your bikes and packs back out.
- Another part of our service is to consult and take care of all your Hut bookings.
- During your day rafting with us, we will keep you fueled up on home baking and a tasty lunch.
- All rafting equipment and top-notch guides, just bring some swim wear and a smile!
* If you do not have your own mountain bike we can arrange a hire bike and gear for you There is also the option of being fully guided on your Mountain Bike / Hike on Day 1 OR…..
“Old Ghost road & Raft” – Go Wild
- Day 1, unguided/unassisted MTB or tramp to the Hut, carry your own overnight equipment and food.
- Day 2, meet with the river crew at Mokihinui Forks to start your rafting section.
We are eagarly awaiting the completion of the difficult middle section of the Old Ghost Road. This will then be one heck of a trip to travel from the old minning town of Lyell (Buller River), through the mountains and down to the Mokihinui and raft the river out to the West Coast. Watch for updates on the official website, completion is expected in a couple of months! View more info about The Old Ghost Road track from the official site.
Old Ghost Road inquiry form
If you are interested in coming with us fill in the form below and we will get the ball rolling to organise a trip schedule for you.
|Departure Time||Minimum Age||River Class(grade)||Trip Duration||On River Duration|
|On Demand||12 yrs||4-5||2 days||5 hrs|